Learning the Steps

The traveling begins…

Well, I’m no longer in Sandusky! The first night wasn’t so bad, but I was still in town near the kids (and the “safety net”). The second night, I was in another town and is wasn’t so great. Nothing happened except for the fear and doubts that tend to plague us when we do something new and unknown. For that length of time, while the grip of fear had me, I was sure that I’d made a humongous mistake, that my business would fail, that I was going to hate being on the road, that something terrible was going to happen.

I reached out to the women on a Facebook group and asked if any of them had felt the same. Within minutes, dozens of responses came flooding in. These women had gone through it already, and came out the other side with a smile. I was reminded that I could change my mind if I needed to, that there were others out there who would be willing to lend a hand if I needed it, some even offered their phone numbers in case I needed something. I have to admit, the tears that I’d had became tears of gratitude. The next morning, I woke feeling much better.

03On Friday & Saturday, I was able to spend time with Bonnie, whom I’d met in Sandusky a few years ago. She’s a fabulous spinner & knitter and does so many other things. We spent some time chatting about all kinds of things and she let me use her shower. Oh, how luxurious that was! For the month of September I’d been using Anthony’s shower which, while hot, was tiny and limited. I’m beginning to think that the showers are one of the things I’ll miss most (not counting my kids). We also went to Stan Hywet Hall and Gardens for the OhioMart Artisan Festival and saw a lot of amazing items. On Sunday I had a lovely visit with Mary Beth while we walked one of the trails at Gorge Metro Park. We, too, had great conversations and enjoyed ourselves. It was a good reminder of one of the reasons I wanted to do this.

The cats seem to be doing okay, but not great. While we’re on the road, Ofelia hides under the blanket, Serephina hides behind my jewelry box, and Khaleesi bounces around the carrier. Khaleesi is the quickest to recover when we stop, though. Serephina stays hidden for about half an hour and Ofelia mopes for a couple hours. Even today, though I haven’t started the engine since yesterday afternoon, she is still a little under the weather. I’ll be watching them all carefully with the hopes that they settle into traveling before long.

On one of my trips back to my nightly parking spot I realized that I’d forgotten to secure my orchids and they took a spill the first time I hit the brakes. It was quite a mess, but I think they will recover. It was another learning experience and I’ve now got a list of things to check before I drive away.

Today, I finished up a few things around the RV, went with Bonnie to the library to get my camping permit (free, but you need to print them out each year), and walked over to Sav-a-Lot for some extra water (several overcast days means that it’s not a good idea to run the water pump right now). This evening I’ll finish up a few more tasks and head out again tomorrow toward my next destination. Am I still nervous? Yes, I am. Am I also excited? Yes, I certainly am. And I know that there are people out there who are looking out for me.

I hope that you all have a fantastic week!

2 thoughts on “The traveling begins…”

  1. I’m so glad we got to visit as you start your adventure! Good luck to you (and your kitties!) as you set out, and I’m looking forward to reading all about your travels. Hopefully, we’ll meet again the next time you’re in this neck of the woods!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s